Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Spiderwick Chronicles in Five Volumes by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black

I read this book because I had seen it recommended as an after Harry Potter book, and because I kept seeing the trailer for the movie. It's got some neat ideas (I like the hidden library that they find through the dumbwaiter), but it doesn't have the same cross-generational appeal as Harry Potter. Also, the first book felt like hardly any story was told at all--I imagine that all five books in the story fit into one arc, and the story is divided into five books in order to make them into manageable sizes for younger readers. At any rate, it was a very quick read.

***
I finished reading this series because it was a quick and easy read. It's one story split across five books to make it easier for younger readers or to make more money for the publishers (take your pick). It wasn't bad as far as it went, but I didn't find it incredibly compelling.

No comments: