Monday, May 10, 2010

The Adventures of Sexton Blake by Dirk Maggs

In this audio drama Sexton Blake, a British detective created in the late nineteenth century who's gone through a number of stories in a variety of formats since then, has a number of adventures that turn out to be related to the same case. I listened to this audio book on Patrick Rothfuss's recommendation, and I'm glad that I did. It's funny (Blake seems to parody Sherlock Holmes, for one thing), it's exciting, and it's a really neat format (old-style radio drama with an actor for each character and lots of sound effects). It took me a few minutes to get used to the format (I'm much more familiar with audiobooks read by a single narrator), but I really enjoyed the production once I finished. The story was goofy at times, but it was altogether a great enjoyment.

No comments: