Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Vixen by Jillian Larkin

I received this book from Barnes and Noble for free through their First Look program. I'm putting the rest of my review under a cut as we haven't finished our discussion there yet.

Gloria Carmody is a young socialite in Chicago who seems to have it all. She's finishing her last year in high school and is engaged to Sebastian Grey, who was one of Chicago's most eligible bachelors. But when her cousin Clara comes to town to help plan the wedding, Gloria realizes she'll have to live it up before she gets married. I wasn't a huge fan of this book. I found the dialogue stilted and oddly schizophrenic--at times Larkin has captured a 1920s feel (especially when she uses period slang), but at other times, it doesn't sound like people talking at all. I also thought the plot was weak--lots of implausible moments and wooden characters. This book has a fun premise, but lacks the polish and realism to bring it off successfully.

No comments: