Monday, May 2, 2011

The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood by James Gleick

I really enjoyed this book, which really had a little bit of everything in it: between history, science, math, literature, cryptography, technology, and theory, it seems nothing is too far afield. I enjoyed the biographical bits about the people whose work made information both legible and useful for us today, and I  enjoyed the scientific bits that show, at least in part, how we came to and continue to manipulate information. I found the concept of redundancy in messages particularly enlightening. The chapter on the Library of Babel and Wikipedia was also quite good. While at the end, Gleick begins to deal with the question of information overload, I felt his heart wasn't in it, or at least, that the final pages were not as well researched or conceptualized as the rest of the book.

No comments: