Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin

I really enjoyed this book. I didn't have to wait six years for this one (just started the series in the spring in anticipation of the HBO adaptation), but I'll happily wait for the next one if it turns out as compelling. I am particularly compelled by Martin's exploration of embodiment in the series and the text. So many characters confront the body's relationship to identity: whether from being smaller than normal (Tyrion), larger than normal (Hodor), losing part of the body (Bran, Jamie), or changing themselves entirely (Arya). I don't have a good theory that links it all together, yet, but I think in this aspect of the books especially (and also in the ways Martin plays with our generic expectations, killing characters like Ned Stark and gradually introducing the magic/dragons/white walkers) they are more than just thrillers or fantasy and do important cultural work. I found myself shocked at the (implied) fate of at least one beloved (to me) character and the reappearance of someone entirely unexpected. Eager for the next one!

No comments: