Monday, November 21, 2011

Phantom by Terry Goodkind

This book is more of the same. It begins with a complicated scene with a spell that should be emblematic but ends up biological (or something--the metaphors aren't working as well as Goodkind apparently thinks they are) and ends with a lot of preaching and monologues. I don't remember the exact plot of the early books anymore (though the memory of how much I enjoyed Wizard's First Rule is one of the reasons I'm still finishing this series, which jumped the proverbial shark several books ago) and I have the sneaking suspicion that the boxes of Orden are being retconned for plot purposes here. Everyone in this series is really good, unless they're really bad and many of the really bad characters from earlier in the series have come to their senses and become really good. I liked hearing about the war wizard Baraccus, but that was the most entertaining part of the book. I'll finish the series to see how things end up, but if you're just starting Goodkind, read Wizard's First Rule and then pretend he never wrote anything else.

No comments: