Friday, July 20, 2012

Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

The penultimate volume in the Wheel of Time series has convinced me that not only was Brandon Sanderson the correct choice to finish the series when Robert Jordan died working on what he thought was the final volume, but also that Sanderson has given the series a stronger ending than Jordan would likely have been able to. I find the new style much clearer: I have a stronger grasp of how all the pieces come together to make a cohesive story (granted, all the threads should be coming together because it's the end, but in the middle volumes of the story, it felt like there were tons of characters wandering around doing things for no clear reason). I would have liked to see a little more of Rand, but I am guessing that we'll see lots of him in the final volume. I'm more excited about what happens in the end of the series than just finally reaching the end, now, and that's a change for the better.

No comments: