Monday, January 25, 2010

Accidentally on Purpose by Mary Pols

I really enjoyed this memoir. Pols has an engaging style in her writing, and I found that the pages flew by. I particularly liked two aspects of the book. First, I was really moved by her description of her parents' deaths, and by the way that her son, Dolan, helped her put her personal loss in perspective. Second, I really enjoyed seeing her relationship with Matt (the father of her son) develop. While at first it was easy for her to see him as not really having his life put together, she began to understand how her behavior was self-righteous and harmful, and took steps to correct it. I came across the book because I enjoy the TV series of the same name (only loosely based on the book), and I found the book delightful, if more realistic.

No comments: