Friday, January 8, 2010

The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

This volume concludes Tolkien's masterwork, The Lord of the Rings. The story's just as good as ever. I appreciated the indices more than usual this time, though: they contain lots of information about the Third Age before the War of the Ring and the remaining six members of the Fellowship in Middle Earth than I've found anywhere else (although I haven't read all of the books that Christopher Tolkien has published from his father's notes yet, and I have found those that I have read difficult to read). As always a pleasure. I think what I value most about Tolkien is that all his characters, from the great to simple hobbits, have to make hard choices, and finally, the way that the text (and, I hope, readers) judge these characters is by virtue of their choices.

No comments: