Friday, March 23, 2012

Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season by Stewart O'Nan and Stephen King

I enjoyed this book, especially for its love of baseball. Its record of the season is detailed, meticulous, and loving. We follow the hopes and the fears of fans throughout the ups and downs of the season. The book really evoked the feeling of baseball for me; it made me want to be at the ballpark. Now I'm not a Red Sox fan, so I wasn't as invested in the team itself as I might be (in some senses, these guys are the enemies). Some of the circumstances of the book's production make for the most interesting reading. To start with: Scribner commissioned the book before the season started from King and O'Nan, both writers. They are mostly writing as well-informed fans. But at times they get press privileges, either as favors or related to the book. Overall it's a great piece of baseball history.

No comments: