Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley

In this mystery Flavia de Luce finds her Christmas celebrations (and plans for catching Santa Claus and dazzling the surrounding countryside with her chemical acumen through a fireworks display) interrupted, first by a film crew coming to make a movie at Buckshaw (one of her father's attempts to hold on to the property despite increasing financial difficulties), and then by murder. I really enjoyed this mystery--I thought the holiday and the presence of the film crew added to the cozy side of things in a really intriguing way. I think the strength of this series is in its sense of character, especially Flavia, who is so sharp about so many things (like chemistry), but is also clueless in other ways (she's continually baffled at why her sisters seem to hate her). I'll be glad when the next entry in this series appears.

No comments: