Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead

I received this book from Barnes and Noble's First Look program a long time ago, but only recently got around to reading it. The book's tone is elegiac, as the narrator remembers both the Sag Harbor vacations of his childhood generally, and the summer he and his brother spent mostly alone in Sag Harbor in 1985, which the reader senses marks a turning point in Benji's memories. The narrator's persona is one I really enjoyed--he is obviously smarter now than he was at the time he narrates, and his aspirations, fears, and bad decisions struck me as realistic. If the book is weak anywhere, I'd say it's weak in plot--while it moves mostly chronologically through the summer, and a lot of stuff happens, there's also a sense in which nothing happens. I'm sure that the non-happenings of summer are partially the point, but it does seem to take something away.

No comments: