Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

This massive book is the first part of Sanderson's new series, the Stormlight Archive. It definitely took me a while to get into the book--and to figure out who was who, where things were located, and what the magical systems were. But once I got in: what a story! I am enjoying trying to decipher the past history, and I'm really liking the characters. There's a little constructedness in the whole thing--characters always seem to be trying to figure out x so they can do y--but by in large it's a magnificent story. Once I figured out the basics, it moved beautifully from scene to scene. I'm particularly interested in the dilemma Sanderson's set up for his main characters: they seem to need wars to protect people, but once they get into the wars, it's hard to see how the killing helps. I'm also intrigued by the relationship between Shallan and Jasnah. Finally, I think it's awesome to see a world where only women write. Wake me when it's late 2012/early 2013 and the second volume is released!

No comments: