Friday, February 5, 2010

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

This book tells the story of a boy in a small, Southern town who falls in love with a girl who's not quite all she seems. I enjoyed this book, but I'll say right off the bat the "Southern-ness" of the book came off as stifling and awkward--not in the "I can't get out of this town" aspect so much as "I can't believe they're speaking in such clanky Southern accents" aspect. Also, I found the fantasy element (all the material about the Casters) to be a little hard to understand and awkwardly worked in. The family trees that were drawn in to the book were NOT helpful--they were in a form that made them hard to read. Still, the adventure kept me turning pages until late in the night--I liked the pacing and the plot. I thought the relationship that developed between Ethan and Lena was sweet (and a lot more realistic than some YA books I've read recently). I'm definitely going to be reading the next book in the series.

No comments: