Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Seized: A Sea Captain's Adventures Battling Scoundrels and Pirates While Recovering Stolen Ships in the World's Most Troubled Waters by Max Hardberger

I received this book via Sneak Peek, a branch of Barnes and Noble's First Look program. I have put the rest of my review behind a cut as we're still discussing the book on the Barnes and Noble boards.
I enjoyed reading this book. The style is very serviceable. The stories fit neatly in their chapters, and while some characters recur, and while Captain Max has a rough personal narrative arc, it's a very good book if you have to read it piecemeal. The pieces were entertaining. At first, I was wondering how Captain Max decided which ships to steal and what principles he applied to taking the ships, but as I read, it became clear that he only takes ships which are unjustly held, as far as he can tell. I hadn't realized that so many seamy places still existed. Most of all, the pleasure in reading this book was the pleasure of seeing a quick mind do some clever thinking to arrange to liberate a ship. I probably wouldn't have picked up this book on my own, but I am delighted that I got a chance to read it.

No comments: