Monday, February 1, 2010

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

I received this book from the Barnes and Noble First Look program. Discussion hasn't finished yet, so I'll post my review behind a cut.
Samantha Kingston, after years of struggling to be popular, finally has it all: cool friends and the right boyfriend. When a car crash threatens to take it all away, she can only think to herself that it's not fair. But the next morning, she wakes up to re-live the same day, and sees how little changes can spiral into bigger patterns. As the same day repeats another five times, she learns more and more about her friends and herself. I really enjoyed reading this book. I found the patterns of discovery really moving. In some senses, I question a little bit whether someone could change so drastically in a week, but if I'm suspending disbelief for the part where she gets to repeat the same day seven times, I can suspend it a little bit further. I thought the characters were well fleshed-out, especially Lindsay. The thing I appreciated most about this book was that in its romance, by the end Sam was able to identify the types of creepy guys that some other books tend to idealize. I guess finally I might add that while in some senses the book seems a touch on the predictable and manipulative side (it's about a teenager who dies and gets to reevaluate the way she's been living and the petty teenage rivalries she's been engaging in, for goodness's sake), I definitely would recommend it.

No comments: