Friday, February 26, 2010

The Poacher's Son by Paul Doiron

I received this book through the Barnes and Noble First Look program. As we have not yet begun our discussion online, I'm putting the rest of my review behind a cut.
I really liked this mystery. I thought that there was a really good reason for the protagonist to be investigating the case, and that the author was remarkably forthright about letting us know what was going on in the protagonist's mind at all times (there are some mysteries where we learn that the narrator has just had a revelation, but not what that revelation is, and I don't think that's fair mystery writing; on the other hand, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd has never bothered me). I liked the connections to Maine, the wilderness, and hunting. There could have been more wrap-up at the end (it felt in some ways like some things were smoothed over very quickly), but that could be because the author may have more mysteries in store for his character. All in all, very well plotted and very enjoyable to read.

No comments: